This past year, my team was asked to take on an impossible task, an insane goal. It was strategic to the company, so I did NOT want to back away from it.
The odds were stacked against us. It was a brand new team. And much like a lot of long term strategic objectives, it didn’t have short term backing — but it still needed to be done.
So often, when we’re going after our goals, we get SO bogged down by all the obstacles in the way. Our inside voices start nagging at us…
It’s so hard. This won’t work. They don’t want us to succeed. All the odds are stacked against us.
Never in the history of mankind was there ever an endeavor worth pursuing that was easy – or without obstacles. If you look at any of the most successful people in history, they’ve all mastered ONE thing. They’ve mastered resourcefulness.
When faced with a huge goal and obstacles on the way, here’s how my team practiced resourcefulness:
- My team and I got into a room and made a list of all the things that were stacked against us. We then looked at straight in the face and said OK. Got it.
- We then asked ourselves: What do we do to win anyway?
- What are the things we’ve got that we can use to our advantage?
- What are the plays we can run to double down on the things that ARE working?
- What are the things we can do creatively to stack things even just a smidge our way?
My team ended up delivering and exceeding on our goal. Even with all the odds stacked against them. They figured out a way to be resourceful and win anyway.
So the next time you’re feeling paralyzed with all the things stacked against you in the way of your goal, ask yourself this: are you being resourceful?
As Tony Robbins always says: “It’s not the lack of resources, it’s your lack of resourcefulness that stops you.”
Over here at Project Unstoppable, our mission is to help 1,000 people lead more proactive lives. If you’re looking to take a more proactive approach to your life using strategies like this — be sure to SIGN UP for our Unstoppable Life Planning Guide by following the link below!